Multinational Agreements: International Frameworks in Europe for R&D and Innovation Cooperation
EU Framework Programs for Research and Innovation
The Framework Programs for Research and Innovation of the European Union are the world's largest platform for international R&D cooperation between entities from the realms of commerce, industry, academic research and public entities. These programs are renewed every few years. The current program “Horizon 2020” began in 2014 and will end in 2020. The multi-year budget of “Horizon 2020” stands at approximately 77 billion Euros, of which Israel will contribute about 1 billion Euros over the seven years of program operation. It provides direct funding for the establishment of a consortium between several partners for R&D and innovation activities in industry, academia, research institutes, public and private organizations, and others. In addition, the program operates two subprograms designed for a single applicant: ERC (European Research Council) for outstanding scientists in groundbreaking research; and SME Instrument for small and medium-size companies.
ISERD is the Israeli R&D Directorate responsible for the integration of Israel in the European Research Area (ERA). ISERD promotes Israeli participation in the European Framework Programs and supports the creation of partnerships between Israeli and European entities.
Goal of the incentive program:
To provide Israeli entities with an opportunity for strategic integration in R&D, innovation and marketing frameworks in Europe. The program expands the areas of activity of the participating entities and contributes to their positioning at the forefront of global technology.
Who is the program for?
Any company or legal entity that would benefit from cooperation in European research and development. The program is suitable for companies, startups, corporations, academic and research institutions, government agencies, hospitals, municipalities, non-profit organizations and more.
What do you get?
- A grant to carry out the project, without giving up the rights to its intellectual property.
- A possibility to realize large scale and costly projects.
- Administrative support through the entire application process.
- Exemption from paying royalties as repayment for grant funds.
- Access to subsidized loans from the European Investment Bank (EIB).
- Access to knowledge generated by the project.
- Involvement in setting international standards.
- Dialogue with European R&D policy makers.
- Exposure to innovative technologies.
- Establishment and deepening of cooperation with EU research groups.
- Creation of a business network that extends access to European markets.
- Deepening of knowledge and business intelligence on customers, suppliers and competitors.
- Designated support program for small and medium-size enterprises.
How to apply?
- The application for participation in this program is carried out according to the requirements detailed in the calls for proposals published on the ISERD website. In most cases, submitting a proposal to finance research requires the establishment of a consortium.
- Application may be submitted following a publication of a call for proposals and until its closing date via an online application system of the European Union.
- After submitting the application, the proposals are examined by an international committee of experts in the field in question, appointed by the EU Commission.
- At the end of the evaluation process, a grant agreement is signed between all the members of the consortium and the EU Commission.
For additional information, please visit: