Bilateral Programs for Parallel Support
The bilateral programs for parallel support of industrial R&D are based on government-to-government (G2G) international agreements and implementation agreements between government agencies and regional authorities that constitute a platform for promotion of technological innovation among industrial and research entities.
The Authority operates these programs in collaboration with R&D and innovation funding bodies in leading countries, provinces and cities in the Asia-Pacific region, North and South America, and Europe.
Goal of the incentive program:
To promote international cooperation in R&D based on significant technological innovation, in order to increase competitiveness and the relative advantage of Israeli companies in the global market. In addition to providing a conditional grant that allows the sharing of the risk inherent in project funding, these programs also offer assistance in finding technology and business partners, as well as access to governmental support for the project.
Who are the programs for?
- Technological industrial companies from all industry sectors that wish to develop or upgrade the development of products, services or manufacturing processes with an industrial company from a foreign country.
- Israeli technology companies and start-ups seeking to create strategic alliances and partnerships with companies and organizations abroad, to expand their operations, gain access to innovative R&D infrastructure abroad (labs, simulators, etc.), locate additional sources of financing, break into new markets and benefit from the access to knowledge and technology existing overseas.
What do you get?
- Assistance in finding a foreign partner.
- Conditional grants of up to 50% of the approved budget of a R&D project, or in accordance with the financial incentive program relevant for a joint project.
- Depending on the nature of the R&D collaboration agreement between the two countries, the approval for cooperation can be provided without financial assistance (self-financing of the applicant company).
Terms of the programs:
The support is provided subject to the provisions of the R&D Law applicable to the relevant incentive program, and in accordance with the various bilateral agreements. The criteria for submission of applications to the bilateral programs are detailed in specific calls for proposals, and in most cases include the following:
- The product, service or industrial process to be developed within the framework of cooperation should be innovative, suitable for commercialization in the target markets, and have added value for the Israeli economy and for the project partner.
- The partner companies must have the ability to implement the project and the R&D processes necessary for its completion, as well as the ability to fund their proportionate share in the process required for project realization.
- Research institutes and academic entities are allowed to take part in the cooperation as subcontractors.
- The partner companies must demonstrate that the cooperation between them is necessary for the development of a value-added technology, resulting from the transfer of knowledge between the companies, as well as from sharing of resources, infrastructure or commercial relationships, innovative application of existing technologies to new markets and more.
- The partner companies will sign an agreement to regulate the rights to their intellectual property (IP) and ownership of new IP, which will be produced during the project and its commercialization. This agreement is to be subject to the R&D Law.
- Please carefully read the complete list of conditions, which specifies the rights and obligations of the companies, as detailed on the Authority’s website.
How to apply?
- Please submit the application for support in accordance with the requirements detailed in the calls for proposals published on the Authority’s website.
- The request for funding should be submitted in both countries, according to the documentation required by each of the funding agencies.
- The resolution of approval for the request for funding of the project is subject to the approval of the foreign funding entity, as part of a joint committee of the funding agencies or through another designated coordinating mechanism between the two sides.
- Following the approval stage, the project will be handled by the R&D Fund mechanism or by other funding programs on which it relies.
- For questions and inquiries about partnerships with specific countries, with which there is a bilateral agreement or other agreements for international cooperation, please visit the Authority’s website to locate the appropriate contact person responsible for a specific geographic area.
For additional information, please contact:
International Collaboration Division
Further information on the Israel Innovation Authority website: Bilateral Programs for Parallel Support